Reference Services Librarian
Responsible for coordinating and providing library reference services, developing research guides and online tutorials, assisting with library instruction and collection development, and serving as a library liaison to designated college. Also serves on university committees and participates in various library initiatives.
- Strong ability to create goodwill with staff, faculty, and students; servant attitude.
- Demonstrated ability to establish proper priorities and work efficiently with limited supervision.
- Commitment to the Articles of Faith, Mission, and Objectives of the University; and desires to be a role model for students by demonstrating an active Christian faith in personal example and in work-related responsibilities.
- Sets goals and objectives, and manages available resources to achieve objectives, without the need for frequent follow-up.
- Coordinates and takes the lead in providing face-to-face and virtual reference services to library users (including evenings).
- Develops research guides and online tutorials.
- Assists with development and maintenance of library website content.
- Provides reference training for library staff and work-study students.
- Evaluates library reference services and recommends changes and new initiatives as needed.
- Assists with library instructional services.
- Participates in collection development.
- Serves as liaison to designated academic programs or other campus units.
- Provides institutional service through university committees and other venues.
- Keeps current with professional trends and literature.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Experience
- One or more years of experience in an academic library environment.
- Strong personal computer skills; excellent oral and written communications skills; team player.
- Positive attitude about work interruptions and enjoys working with students.
- Ability to articulate biblically-based view of role of library and information services in an academic environment.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of print and digital academic reference resources.
- Familiarity with using web content management systems.
- Proficiency in Spanish.
American Library Association-accredited MLS (or equivalent). Additional subject master’s degree preferred.
Reporting to this position
Work-study staff (as needed).
Physical Demands and Work Environment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk; stand; sit; use hands; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
The employee is expected to adhere to all University policies.
JBU desires to increase the diversity of its faculty, staff, and students to honor how all humans are created in the image of God, to reflect better the diversity of the Kingdom of God, to further our Christian commitment to justice, and to increase the quality of our educational experience. JBU is pursuing the goal of teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from ethnic minorities and women. For more information, visit our diversity webpage.
Information describing the university is available online.
Please complete the application and then upload it along with your resume and cover letter to the "Upload Your Documents" page. Only complete materials will be reviewed. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted by the university.
Office of Human Resources
John Brown University
2000 West University Street
Siloam Springs, AR 72761